1. “From the Ground Up: A Journey to Reimagine the Promise of America” by Howard Schultz, Random House
“From the Ground Up” is part candid memoir, part uplifting blueprint of mutual responsibility and part proof that ordinary people can do extraordinary things. At its heart, it’s an optimistic, inspiring account of what happens when we stand up, speak out and come together for purposes bigger than ourselves. Here is a new vision of what can be when we try our best to lead lives through the lens of humanity.
2. “The Go-Giver: A Little Story about a Powerful Business Idea (Expanded)” by Bob Burg and John David Mann, Portfolio
Nearly a decade since its original publication, the term “go-giver” has become shorthand for a defining set of values embraced by hundreds of thousands of people around the world. Today this timeless story continues to help its readers find fulfillment and greater success in business, in their lives and in their communities.
3. “The Master Plan: My Journey from Life in Prison to a Life of Purpose” by Chris Wilson and Bret Witter, G.P. Putnam’s Sons
The inspiring, instructive and ultimately triumphant memoir of a man who used hard work and a master plan to turn a life sentence into a second chance.
4. “Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.” by Brené Brown, Random House
Whether you’ve read “Daring Greatly” and “Rising Strong” or you’re new to Brené Brown’s work, this book is for anyone who wants to step up and into brave leadership.
5. “Scaling Leadership: Building Organizational Capability and Capacity to Create Outcomes That Matter Most” by Robert J. Anderson and William A. Adams, Wiley
“Scaling Leadership” is an invaluable tool for executives, managers and leaders in business, academia, nonprofit organizations and more. This innovative resource provides effective techniques, real-world examples and expert guidance for organizations seeking to improve performance, align and execute strategies and transform their business with scalable leadership capability.
6. “Growth IQ: Get Smarter About the Choices That Will Make or Break Your Business” by Tiffani Bova, Portfolio
7. “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance” by Angela Duckworth, Scribner Book Company
8. “Buy the Change You Want to See: Use Your Purchasing Power to Make the World a Better Place” by Jane Mosbacher Morris and Wendy Paris, Tarcherperigee
9. “Rebel Talent: Why It Pays to Break the Rules at Work and in Life” by Francesca Gino, Dey Street Books
10. “Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World” by Anand Giridharadas, Knopf Publishing Group
11. “Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need” by Grant Sabatier, Avery Publishing Group
12. “Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well” by Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen, Penguin Books
13. “Thirst: A Story of Redemption, Compassion and a Mission to Bring Clean Water to the World” by Scott Harrison, Currency
14. “Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World’s Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees” by Doug Lipp, McGraw-Hill Education
15. “The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy” by Jon Gordon, Wiley
16. “Wisdom at Work: The Making of a Modern Elder” by Chip Conley, Currency
17. “Mom.B.A.: Essential Business Advice from One Generation to the Next” by Karyn Schoenbart, Motivational Press
18. “Earning It: Hard-Won Lessons from Trailblazing Women at the Top of the Business World” by Joann S. Lublin, HarperBusiness
19. “Permission to Screw Up: How I Learned to Lead by Doing (Almost) Everything Wrong” by Kristen Hadeed, Portfolio
20. “Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL” by Jeff Pearlman, Houghton Mifflin
21. “Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption” by Geoffrey A. Moore, Diversion Books
22. “The Alter Ego Effect: The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life” by Todd Herman, HarperBusiness
23. “How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job” by Sally Helgesen and Marshall Goldsmith, Hachette Books
24. “The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups” by Daniel Coyle, Bantam
25. “This Is Day One: A Practical Guide to Leadership That Matters” by Drew Dudley, Hachette Books