Today is Tuesday,
Nov. 5, the 309th day of 2019. There are 56 days left in the year.
On this date
• In 1605, the “Gunpowder Plot” failed as Guy Fawkes was seized before he could blow up the English Parliament.
• In 1940, President Franklin D. Roosevelt won an unprecedented third term in office as he defeated Republican challenger Wendell L. Willkie.
• In 1987, Supreme Court nominee Douglas H. Ginsburg admitted using marijuana several times in the 1960s and 70s, calling it a mistake. Ginsburg ended up withdrawing his nomination.
• In 1994, former President Ronald Reagan disclosed he had Alzheimer’s disease.
• In 2003, President Bush signed a bill outlawing the procedure known by its critics as “partial-birth abortion”; less than an hour later, a federal judge in Nebraska issued a temporary restraining order. In 2007, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the law.