Today is Tuesday,
Sept. 10, the 253rd day of 2019. There are 112 days left in the year.
On this date
• In 1813, an American naval force commanded by Oliver H. Perry defeated the British in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. Afterward, Perry sent the message, “We have met the enemy and they are ours.”
• In 1935, Sen. Huey P. Long died in Baton Rouge two days after being shot in the Louisiana state Capitol, allegedly by
Dr. Carl Weiss.
• In 1960, Hurricane Donna, a dangerous Category 4 storm eventually blamed for 364 deaths, struck the Florida Keys.
• In 1963, 20 black students entered Alabama public schools following a standoff between federal authorities and Gov. George C. Wallace.
• In 1998, President Clinton met with members of his Cabinet to apologize, ask forgiveness and promise to improve as a person in the wake of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.