Today is Wednesday, Oct. 9, the 282nd day of 2019. There are 83 days left in the year.
On this date:
• In 1776, a group of Spanish missionaries settled in present-day San Francisco.
• In 1910, a coal dust explosion at the Starkville Mine in Colorado left 56 miners dead.
• In 1936, the first generator at Boulder (later Hoover) Dam began transmitting electricity to Los Angeles.
• In 1940, rock-and-roll legend John Lennon was born in Liverpool, England. (On this date in 1975, his son, Sean, was born in New York.)
• In 1958, Pope Pius XII died at age 82, ending a 19-year papacy. (He was succeeded by Pope John XXIII.)
• In 1967, Marxist revolutionary guerrilla leader Che Guevara, 39, was summarily executed by the Bolivian army a day after his capture.