A month into live racing at Dubuque Greyhound Park, and I see more good dogs than in the past.
However, I’m not handicapping them very well.
Dubuque has always been a challenging track because the greyhounds are so evenly matched. Add in the surface and setup of the turns, it takes some time to get things organized in my mind.
There are some great pups: Roc A By Msmolly and Superior Panama jump in my mind first.
Others, like WW’s Revise, are showing fantastic consistency (although he suffered a loss in Grade A Monday).
It’s good to keep in mind dogs with names like Superior, Quirky, Astar – these are showing up on the board quite a bit.
The best advice: Keep track and watch the races. The winning tickets will follow.
* Bluffs Run is off for the week; it resumes racing Saturday.
* Flagler opens for the season Saturday.
* Derby Lane switches from a matinee card to evening races on Monday.
* Belmont continues its $350,000 guaranteed late pick 4.
* Jacksonville has the finals of the Puppy Stakes Saturday night.
* Arlington Park has the Springfield and Purple Violet Saturday afternoon.
* Belmont carries the Commentator, Bouwerie, Mike Lee, Kingston, Mount Vernon, Dancing Renee and Affirmed Success Saturday afternoon.
* Churchill Downs offers the Aristides Saturday afternoon.
* Woodbine has the Hendrie Saturday afternoon and the Vigil Sunday afternoon.
* Dubuque’s twin tri is $0.
* Derby Lane’s tri super is $25,490.
* Arlington Park’s pick 9 jackpot is $25,841; super high 5 is $156,661.
* Belmont’s pick 6 is $30,798.
* Churchill Downs’ pick 6 is $68,357.