Event: Branson on the Road: “Salute to America”
Time/date: 2 p.m. Saturday, June 22.
Site: Ohnward Fine Arts Center, 1215 E. Platt St., Maquoketa, Iowa.
Cost: $22 in advance and $25 at the door for adults; $13 in advance and $15 at the door for students. Tickets are available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday-Friday, at the Ohnward Fine Arts Center box office, by calling 563-652-9815, or by visiting www.ohnwardfineartscenter.com; Osterhaus Pharmacy; the Maquoketa State Bank main office; Anderson Pharmacy in Preston, Iowa; and the Bellevue (Iowa) Pharmacy.
- Branson on the Road has been performing for more than 20 years.
- “Salute to America” focuses on songs about U.S. history, heroes and home. The show starts with the nation’s founding and includes homages to various cities.
- The show culminates with its version of “I’ve Been Everywhere.”
- Performers include Debbie Horton, Adam Popeis, Preston B. Walden and Lisa Horngrenis.
- Horton, show producer and owner, also played lead guitar for Johnny Cash.
Quotable, from show producer and owner Debbie Horton
- “We honor our nation and the people who built it. You’re going to know nearly all of the songs we sing and be surprised, too.”
- “That piece (“I’ve Been Everywhere”) took us over eight months to put together. There are a couple of hundred towns mentioned in that song ... I know I have been to all of them myself.”