Today is Tuesday,
June 11, the 162nd day of 2019. There are 203 days left in the year.
On this date
• In 1776, the Continental Congress formed a committee to draft a Declaration of Independence calling for freedom from Britain.
• In 1942, the United States and the Soviet Union signed a lend-lease agreement to aid the Soviet war effort in World War II.
• In 1955, in motor racing’s worst disaster, more than 80 people were killed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France when two of the cars collided and crashed into spectators.
• In 1962, three prisoners at Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay staged an escape, leaving the island on a makeshift raft; they were never found or heard from again.
• In 1993, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that people who commit “hate crimes” may be sentenced to extra punishment.
• In 2001, Timothy McVeigh, 33, was executed by injection at the federal prison in Terre Haute, Ind., for the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people.
Today’s Birthdays: Former U.S. Rep. Charles B. Rangel, D-N.Y., is 89. Comedian Johnny Brown is 82. International Motorsports Hall of Famer Jackie Stewart is 80. Singer Joey Dee is 79. Actor Roscoe Orman is 75. Actress Adrienne Barbeau is 74. Rock musician Frank Beard (ZZ Top) is 70. Animal rights activist Ingrid Newkirk is 70. Rock singer Donnie Van Zant is 67. Actor Peter Bergman is 66. Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana is 63. Actor Hugh Laurie is 60. TV personality Mehmet Oz, M.D., is 59. Singer Gioia Bruno (Expose) is 56. Rock musician Dan Lavery (Tonic) is 53. Country singer-songwriter Bruce Robison is 53. Actress Clare Carey is 52. Actor Peter Dinklage is 50. Country musician Smilin’ Jay McDowell is 50. Actor Lenny Jacobson is 45. Rock musician Tai Anderson (Third Day) is 43. Actor Joshua Jackson is 41. Americana musician Gabe Witcher (Punch Brothers) is 41. Christian rock musician Ryan Shrout is 39. Actor Shia LaBeouf is 33.