Demarcus Deandre Timmons has been discharegd from The Finley Hospital.



One teenager died and another was injured after shots were fired late Saturday night outside 2061 and 2073 Jackson streets in Dubuque.

Marlon Terrell Barber Jr., 15, of 920 1/2 W. Fifth St., died in a Mercy Medical Center-Dubuque operating room as a result of his wounds.

Demarcus Deandre Timmons, 16, of 1012 Wilson St., was wounded and was hospitalized at The Finley Hospital. He was in satisfactory condition Sunday evening.

Dubuque police said the shooting occurred at about 11:50 p.m. Saturday among two groups of people who had encountered each other at a residence on Jackson Street. Both groups were walking south, away from the residence, when shots were fired from one group at the other, wounding Barber and Timmons. No charges have been filed.

Police said Barber was found on the ground on Jackson Street, suffering from what appeared to be multiple gunshot wounds.

More than 150 people came to the location Sunday night for a vigil. People of all ages and races crowded around balloons, teddy bears and signs with messages in remembrance of Barber. The crowd at the vigil overflowed into the southbound lane of Jackson Street.

"I want to thank everyone who has shown my son love, everybody who is standing out here tonight representing my baby," said Barber's mother, Nate Watson. "Make sure you take care of your family and not let this happen to any of your loved ones.

"Marlon was my No. 1, my rock, and he's no longer here," Watson continued. "If you're part of the violence, stop it. Just stop it. Let's love each other and get along and help the community."

Timmons was found wounded outside a residence in the 2100 block of Washington Street. Tom Flanagan was returning to his home at 2109 Washington St. on Saturday night when he spotted Timmons outside his neighbor's house.

"The guy was sitting over there," Flanagan said, pointing to the porch. "There was blood."

Police tape continued to separate Flanagan's front yard from that of 2105 Washington on early Sunday afternoon. Flanagan's neighbor wasn't home at that time. The scene hadn't been so quiet hours earlier.

"Between here and Jackson (Street), it was pretty crazy," Flanagan said. "There were cops and ambulances."

Sunday morning, several officers were studying a stretch of sidewalk between 2061 and 2073 Jackson streets -- about a block north of St. Paul Lutheran Church. At least 10 numbered, plastic markers were placed on the sidewalk. A metal detector also was at the scene.

All those evidence markers were gone Sunday night. Candles, tears and words of remembrance replaced them. Barber's friend Leanne Stoddard, 20, who lives at 20th and Jackson streets, wore a white shirt with "RIP Marlon Barber" written in black marker.

"He always made you laugh, no matter what," Stoddard said. "I only saw him mad once. His personality was always bubbly. He could have just had his butt kicked, and he would be laughing about it."

According to Telegraph Herald records, the most recent previous fatal shooting in Dubuque occurred in February 2011. In that case, Teodoro Borrego eventually was sentenced to 50 years in prison after fatally shooting his significant other, Shani Smith, in their Kennedy Road home.